District 86 History!
The history of Hinsdale Township High School District 86 is an old and storied one which begins with the first graduating class of Hinsdale High School in 1883. Noteworthy is that this first graduating class consisted of three females.
In 1897, Hinsdale High School first became an organized high school. In 1913, District 86 came into existence when the elementary and high school separated into two districts. The name Hinsdale Township High School District 86 became official in 1925.
Construction began on Hinsdale Central in 1947 with 780 students occupying the new building in 1950. In 1962, a referendum for a second high school was passed and Hinsdale South opened its doors in the fall of 1965 to 418 freshmen and sophomores. In 1990-91, enrollment reached its lowest level of 3062.
With the 2010-11 school year well underway, over 4500 students attend the two high schools in District 86 -- over 2700 at Central and nearly 1800 at South. A faculty and administrative staff of over 380 oversee all programs for the district.
With close to 300 courses, over 100 clubs and specialty activities, and approximately 70 interscholastic sports available to District 86 students on each campus, educational opportunities abound. Students have taken advantage of all of these opportunities to the extent that nearly 98 percent of all District 86 graduates matriculate to college or university.